August 14, 2008

We had a lesson on vegetable and potato cuts today. I must admit that I had zero knife skills before the class, and my inexperience was evident all throughout the day. I've had different people give me tips on my knife work. First, Chef Jay taught me how to use a vegetable peeler as I couldn't even use a goddamn vegetable peeler correctly. Chef Manoj also dropped by my station to show me how to move my hands as i'm cutting. Finally, Direk taught me how to do a Paysanne cut with a carrot. I was a bit embarrassed for myself, especially as I was being taught how to peel vegetables. It shows me how much I still have to learn. I still have a very long way to go before I can call myself a competent chef.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are not alone!!!
well, at least from this day forth, you can't get anymore worse! you're only going to get better as the days progress! ;)