August 1, 2008

I can't believe that another week has passed. Those 5 days flew by so fast, I hardly had enough time to breathe. Its has been a very busy week in culinary school, but besides being busy, it was also the most fun and enjoyable 5 days. I say "so far" because I'm definitely sure that the weeks to come will be great, I can feel it.

Today we had Culinary Terminologies. We were introduced to more than 100 terminologies today, almost 200 I think (but I didn't count). To the uninitiated who has absolutely no idea what the words Mise En Place or Antipasto or Chateaubriand means, its bound to overwhelm you. Just pronouncing the words is a chore, let alone memorizing the definition of the terms. In my case, it helps to be a wide-reader, especially of literature related to food. I had encountered most of the terminologies we discussed from books I've read in the past, as well as from all the Saturdays I spent in the Culinary Fundamentals class back in January. In a way, I had an easier time today.

After school, our class had a bonding session over beer in one of the joints in Katipunan. It was a great way to cap off the busy week of lecture. I got to know a bit about some of my classmates I'll be spending 14 months with in school. We're a pretty diverse bunch in terms of age and personality.

The first official week of class is in the books. I'm excited for next week's round of topics. I'm reallygetting into the whole studying everyday thing. The last time I studied this religiously was when I was still taking pre-medicine. But unlike my pre-med days, I'm really having a blast right now. Having a keen and deep interest in the subject matter is making me double my efforts to really do well in culinary school.

No comments: