August 20, 2008

I learned how to truss a chicken and a tenderloin today. To truss something is to tie up a particular ingredient using string in preparation for roasting. It helps to keep the shape of products such as chicken or pork loin or beef tenderloin, for example. Otherwise, your meat would just be splayed all over the food pan with no fathomable shape to speak of. Our chefs vividly demonstrate how an un-trussed chicken would look like: They would raise their both their arms in the air at different angles and raise one of their legs from the ground. Its funnier when you see them do it, and we get the picture. I've been practicing my trussing skills on a rolled up towel, which finely mimics the shape of a beef tenderloin. Trussing a chicken is much trickier, so i'll probably buy myself a chicken carcass tomorrow to work on it. All I need to know now is how to properly roast these things, and I'll be on my way.

No comments: