August 8, 2008

Today's session seemed more like a science class than a cooking lesson. Our topic was on the properties of water, carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Chef Gerd demonstrated a number of these properties at work in the kitchen. We learned a lot of basic stuff like combining hot and cold water to flour and starch, and how these two thickening agents behave differently. I also found out that our apples have a layer of beeswax in order to keep it shiny (Try scraping the skin of an apple, its freaky!). We tried burning cream, roasting flour, combining water and oil, whipping up egg whites and then pouring a fat over it, soaking legumes, among other things. It was a pretty interesting topic, only I was pretty restless in class today, and I didn't absorb as much information as I usually do. Must've been the cold I contracted from someone.

No comments: