July 28, 2008

The first day of lecture was great. We had Chef Pauleen, one of the 2 Filipino chef-instructors, as our lecturer for the day. They say that you know within minutes if something is for you. I knew within the first minute that I made the right decision to be where I was today.

We briefly discussed the history of Culinary Arts from Catherine De Medici, to Careme, to Escoffier. My eyes lit up when Ferran Adria, the pioneer of molecular gastronomy was discussed. Its a dream someday to work in the kitchen / mad lab of Mr. Adria, or at least have the experience of dining in El Bulli.

We moved on to a discussion of the different kitchens, and my attention held firm. From Garde Manger kitchens to a Room Service kitchen, I never knew kitchens had different functions. Now I know better.

Finally, we went over the kitchen organizational chart, developed by Escoffier inspired from the military org. chart. To be an Executive Chef seems too far a prospect for me right now, considering that I'm not even in the lowest rung of the ladder yet. Everyone has to start at the bottom, right?

I'm just inspired and very eager to learn right now. I'm going to be like a sponge thats going to take everything in.

No comments: