June 29, 2006

Of Coins and Cashiers

Last night as I was leaving the parking lot in the Rustan's open parking in Ayala, the cashier did something that really caught my ire. Coming from a long day at work and leaving my car in the parking lot for more than 12 hours, I expected my fee to be exorbitant as usual. True enough, it amounted to 135 pesos. But it was'nt the price that made me blow my top off, it was when I handed the cashier my hard earned 150 pesos and she demanded that I give her 5 pesos more so that she can give me 20 pesos in change. What was her reason for asking for the additional 5 pesos? She didnt have any coins with her! A cashier without any coins!! I would have normally let this one slide without further comment, but the fact that they do this to me 4 out of the 5 days that I park there eventually gets to you. Last night, I finally reached breaking point, when I told her that I did'nt have any coins on me to give to her and she had to use her radio to ask for coins from another cashier. I told her that it is basic practice for cashiers to have friggin' coins in their register, and that I thought it was rude for cashiers to ask patrons to give more that they should just because you don't have any change. In truth, I had the 5 pesos to give the cashier, and eventually I did give her the 5 pesos so that would'nt be held up any longer, but thats beside the point. My point is - IT'S YOUR OBLIGATION AS A RETAIL ESTABLISHMENT TO ALWAYS HAVE COINS IN YOUR REGISTER, AND TO ALWAYS BE READY TO GIVE YOUR CONSUMERS THE EXACT CHANGE WITHOUT HAVING TO ASK THEM FOR MORE! I believe that this is a very basic retail practice that all retailers should always keep in mind. This shows that even large retail establishments miss out on the seemingly trivial, but essential consumer right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel you.. i totally feel you!! :)