June 26, 2006

I was fortunate enough to attend Laura and Al Ries' Brand Marketing Conference over at the Philippine Plaza last week. For those who may not know who Al Ries is, he is a marketing guru and the co- author of the must read canon for all marketing practitioners - The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing. Laura Ries is Al's daughter who also happens to be a very competent marketing expert and author, and who could be on her way to becoming like dear old dad.
The conference was insightful and introspective, though I believe that a seminar that charges nearly 10,000 bucks should conjure that effect. Although I would say that what they presented was an updated version of the 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing, minus the laws that Jack Trout(Mr. Ries' co-author in the original book, I heard that he and Al had a falling-out) probably formulated, plus Laura Ries' inputs. Their presentation was highly visual and their delivery was spot-on (they must have presented this for God knows how many times).
My major peeve during the conference was when the question and answer portion of the program started. Al and Laura must have been kicking themselves and regretting they ever came after hearing the most stupid and non-sensical questions on the planet. Try answering these questions:
1. How do I know if I am the first in my category? - Whoever asked this question deserves to be burned alive
2. Questions along the lines of asking for concrete and specific strategies for their products - Al Ries doesnt give a rat's ass about your friggin product! And haven't you heard of consultancy fees. You're not about to get a free lunch pal!
3. There was one comment/question through the text line which literally said to the Reis' - "Your laws are CONTRADICTORY!" This was like giving Al Ries a bitch slap to the face! I wanted to hide under the table for the imbecile who gave this poorly thought of and worded remark.
I was embarrassed for the the people who actually thought that their questions made the slightest sense. To think that these people were professionals and marketers at that. Honestly, I never expected the level of questions to come from such a group of professionals. Its something even I would'nt even think or dare to ask, given my inexperience in the industry.
I don't know if it was just me, but were there any others who were the slightest bit offended when Al Ries quipped that he did'nt even know where the Philippines was in the map and was surprised to find out that we were in Asia. I know I was. For a marketing guru who harped on the advantages of going global and having global brands, its just funny that he does'nt really pay much attention to his geography.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what's worse than having to hear those stupid questions from the Philippines' supposed marketing gurus(?!??!?) -- the organizers allowing these to be heard by everyone! Simply stunning and oh so stupid!