May 15, 2006

The Godfather
Yesterday, I attended my godson's christening and I was made a Godfather for the 3rd time now. 22 years old and I already have 3 godchildren! Somebody help me...Being a godfather is no joke. There's that customary birthday and Christmas gift you're already tied to give all the rest of your life. Its funny when the priest said yesterday that being a godparent isnt all about giving presents during special occasions. I damn near bit my lip just to hold back the laughter. He said that being a godparent means setting an example and being a model for your godchild to emulate. Being a godparent means being ready to accept the responsibility of helping your godson grow up to be a good citizen and God-fearing individual. May God have mercy on my godchildren if they grow up just like me. I don't want to be that model godparent who's all preachy and shit. I'm not ready to provide worldly advice to my godchildren, heck I can't even give good advice to myself. They probably wouldnt need my help for now, seeing as none of my godchildren are over the age of 10 at the moment. But I guess i'm gonna have to make ready. When that time comes, i'd rather be the Marlon Brando type of Godfather.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Hello Ninong! : ) At last, someone gets the guts to write about this! I sort of agree with you on this godparenting ritual that people do just because. Back in college, I always thought that godparenting would be such an honor because you were carefully handpicked. To my horror, I witness parents choosing godparents they're not even close to! You know that superstition that it's bad luck to refuse? I've refused once and, so far, I feel better for not putting the potential godchild into a state of awkwardness where he will always have to muster the courage to pretend to KNOW me to ask for his aginaldo.