May 22, 2006

Debunking Da Vinci
I saw The Da Vinci Code over the weekend. I must say that although it wasnt the best movie ever made, I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw, and I was actually entertained. I've read reviews that the movie was dragging for the most part and lacked the action that made the book a best-seller. On this premise, I beg to disagree. I thought that the movie adaptation of the Da Vinci Code was one of the more faithful adaptations from book to screen since The Lord of the Rings. The movie won't get any better unless you made some drastic changes from the book. And regarding the bit that it was boring because of the convoluted dialogue, it was all necessary, otherwise those who had read the book would have felt shortchanged. I think that the flashbacks that were used in the film were also a good touch. Seeing the trebuchets and the battle scenes made me think that I was watching a sword and sandal epic. In my opinion, these devices were very necessary. Another aspect that I loved about the movie was the musical score. Now that is my kind of music! I found it very moving and riveting, especially during the end when Robert Langdon reached the end of the Rose Line. The locations were another point I enjoyed in the movie. I'm gonna have to start planning for my trip to the Louvre and Rosslyn Chapel. When I go to Europe, i'm planning to have the whole Da Vinci experience!
Now what's the point of all the bad press this movie is getting?! I think its pointless that various groups have been trying to stop this movie from being shown in theaters just because it may corrupt one's faith. For God's sake, this is just a frickin movie!! I don't think this movie can corrupt faith, I've seen other films and shows that had a better chance of doing so. The book had been written and had been a best-seller more than a year ago, millions have read it. I did'nt notice a crisis of faith happening during that time, why would it be any different now? Does that mean less faithful, easier to corrupt individuals will be watching the movie? I happened to chance upon a talk show last night that discussed the implications of the film. One of the guests said that most Catholics/Christians have been conditioned to be Catholics/Christians since birth, and it would take more than a two and a half hour movie to bend these people's faith. I happen to agree with this. If your faith is strong, then I would not see any problem for you to be seeing the movie. I actually think its healthy for one's faith to be open to these kinds of theories, however implausible they might be. Those who do not want to see the movie because it might corrupt them, in my opinion, are just religious hypochondriacs.
Can I just say that those politicians who are just feeding the fire by asking the movie to be banned are just grandstanding. Personally, I think they don't have anything better to do, so they just the Da Vinci Code wave to get some airtime. The movie has already broken box office records and millions upon millions of movie goers have seen it. So why don't these politicians just go back to more important and pressing issues, rather than waste our time with their non-sensical rants. I did'nt vote to have some useless politician keep me from spending my money to watch a damn movie.

No comments: