September 2, 2008

Today was a good day as the kitchen session was not as hectic as the day before. We were cooking ahead of schedule, so Chef Uli gave us a couple of long breaks that allowed us to catch our breath and rest our feet. Today's recipes consisted of Cream of Tomato Soup, Buttered Vegetables, Buttered Parsley Potatoes, and Pork Ragout (Stew). I was assigned to prepare the Potatoes ala minute, which meant that I had to saute the potatoes right before service time. This was kind of stressful, because you had to watch out if guests/diners were coming in so that you could start cooking, but I could definitely say that this was the good kind of stress. It was all good, except for the comments I received from diners that the parsley on the potatoes were a bit burnt. I kind of took offense at that, but what the hell, shit happens in the kitchen right? Besides, I was scanning the plates of those who finished eating, and I didn't see a trace of my potatoes coming back uneaten. I guess that they didn't mind the burnt taste of parsley. Its either that, or they were just really hungry.

No comments: