November 22, 2006


AN ODE TO MY IPOD



Where have you been all my life? I first met you 1 1/2 years ago. You were given to me as a gift, which back then I was hesitant to accept, just because I thought I didn't deserve you yet. But as the fates would allow, I took you in my hands, and your prisitine and immaculate aesthetic captivated me. I had to have you. You were bought for me, at 0% interest for 12 months. And I was happy. I kept your receipt, just in case something terrible befell you during your warranty period. I bought you a jet-black leather case to house you in, and that is where you have been since. Although at times, I would take you out of your abode and just admire your beauty. I would gently wipe away the prints, fuss over your small scratches, which I know gave you character, implore you to never leave me, and dread the day when I am faced with no ther choice but to get an upgrade. But until that time comes, I am loyal only to you.



You have been a constant and loyal companion to me. You were with me during the slow days, as well as the fast times. You were with me when I took serene walks and panicked half-jogs. You are with me during my travels to and from work, with me clasping you hard in my palm. You were always present during long waits, content to entertain me with your service. You have waited with me during flight delays, kept me company during self-imposed alone times. Whenever I felt like hiding from the world and drowning out the noise of the everyday crowd, I turn to you for refuge. Although your battery life isn't as long as what was promised me, I have no regrets. Whatever time we spend together, with you giving the music and me just taking it all in, is worth the time of waiting for you to finish your customary 3-hour charge.



But I also have my responsibilities to you. I take it upon myself as a personal responsibility, to keep you abreast with the latest offerings from the musical world. It is my duty to mold you into a well-rounded machine. As regularly as I can, I load you up with tunes that span different genres and musical fields. I diligently update you with music, which I believe improves your character and gives you personality. Although I must admit that I have instilled a little too much classical and world music and less of the contemporary, mainstream music that people are accustomed to. But then again, I have never lent you to anyone except to hear a few snippets of music. I love you just the way you are. And like a proud parent, I am happy with just how you turned out to be. With 2500 songs tucked in your vast memory, you are now the eclectic and cultured machine I envisioned you to be.


You have provided the musical score to my life. A smile never fails to paint my face whenever you play a song that I love. I always keep your playlists at random, giving you the freedom to play whatever you like. I also enjoy being pleasantly surprised at your choices. You have never failed to make my heart soar by playing inspiring music from Adiemus and Enya. You made me rock out to tunes from The Who, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, and Linkin Park. You have made me realize my childhood fantasies of becoming a knight and living in a world of magic by making me listen to musical scores from gifted composers such as Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and Howard Shore. You appeased my occasional longing for a religious outlet by having Bukas Palad and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir in your playlist. You also keep my dreams of becoming a balladeer alive by making me sing to Brian McKnight or John Mayer, and even James Ingram. You've also taught me. Yes, you have given me a crash course in music appreciation by making me hear classics from the Beatles, Lenny Kravitz, Motown, and The Rolling Stones. Thanks to you, I now know that Beethoven was not just a dog and I can pronounce Tchaikovsky with pride. Although sometimes you make me blush when you play what few Britneys and JLOs you have in your system, but thats what the skip button is for.



Now you see how important you are to me? I find my day to be lacking if I don't get to listen to your voice, if only for 15 minutes. In the short time we have been acquainted, you have evolved to become an extension of my life. We have both been through things during this span of time. You are more worn out, a little tired, with a few battle scars to show. I am a little bit wiser, with a life more meaningful because of the music you provided. I am writing this now because I feel you slowly slipping away from me. Your battery life is shorter than ever, and your grand children are shaping up to be beautiful as well. I figured that I should offer a homage to you before everything is lost and I do find that replacement unit. But rest assured that until that day comes that I won't be able to force the life out of you, when the beauty of music has finally left your memory, I will stick it out with you.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Your writing continues to impress me, but this entry gives me both the tickles and the jitters! Rain!!! Hindi na tao ang kinakausap mo!!! It has come to this!!!

Anonymous said...

okay now your just freaky!

and why was the other comment removed?

The Northerner said...

pam had a minor commenting problem.