December 29, 2006


Illusions of Santa Claus

Every Christmas for the past few years, I have been tasked to write a letter to my sister, under the pseudonym of Santa Clause. Its our way of keeping the magic and spirit of Christmas alive for my little sister. But every year, I'm faced with a dilemma though. As she gets older, her questions get more complicated, her requests a little more harder to give. This year for example, she asked for a real puppy, a request my parents weren't too keen on granting. Therefore, I also had to act as a public relations officer, and explain to my sister in Santa's demeanor, why its not possible for her to receive a puppy for Christmas. This year, she also wanted to receive a picture of Santa Clause with Mrs. Clause and Santa's Little Helpers. I had trouble finding a decent enough picture of Santa's Helpers, so I once again had to improvise a bit. Here's the rest of my Christmas letter. And if there was a real Santa, I think I can work for you as your P.R. agent.



Dearest Raisa,

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas! I hope you like the present I gave you. Thank you for being such a good girl this past year, that’s why you deserve a wonderful gift this Christmas. But I noticed that you have been a little bit naughty a few times, like when you did not return your toys and school materials after using them, or when you had temper tantrums. Remember, Santa sees everything you do, both the good things and the bad things.

I see that you have written me a long letter this time and asked me a lot of questions. You are growing up to become a very inquisitive person, and this is good. If you don’t know what the word “inquisitive” means, ask your parents. It is hard for Santa to give live pets such as dogs during Christmas. The journey from the North Pole is long and hard, and a dog might get too tired from the trip. Also, we cannot put small animals in boxes and wrap them with ribbons because it could hurt them. However, I am allowing your parents to buy you a pet of your choice within the year.

Yes, it is very cold where I live, freezing cold in fact. But do not worry, my house has a fireplace that keeps me and Mrs. Claus warm all the time. I also wear clothes that keep me warm from the trip from the North Pole to all of the children’s houses all over the world.

I always read the letters you children write to me. I read them as soon as you put your letter on the Christmas tree. How do I know that you’ve already placed your letters? It’s a secret! This gives me more time for me and my assistants to find the special gift you deserve.

You also asked for me to give you a picture of myself and Mrs. Claus together. Here it is. I hope you like it. My elves are very shy, and they do not like pictures being taken of them.

There, I hope I was able to answer all of your questions. I am truly happy to see what kind of person you are growing up to be. Remember to always love your parents and thank them for everything they do for you. I want you to be more helpful, more respectful, and more sharing for the coming year. And being more neat and tidy with your surroundings and yourself will not hurt either. I hope that you will not forget me, even as you grow a little older each year. Who knows, next Christmas, I might make an exception and give you the dog you want…

Until Next Christmas,
Santa (Ho! Ho! Ho!)

1 comment:

Pam said...

Ahahahaaa!!! Oh, Rain, this is so funny yet so sweet!!! Hahaha!!!! I do hope your suplado side won't show in your future letters!!! I hear there's a real Claus family and Santa! You may want to do some research on that.