January 12, 2007

The Problem With Being In The Marketing Industry

The title itself is self-explanatory. Working in the marketing field for almost a year and a half now has allowed me to make a few observations regarding this industry , more specifically, how non-marketing people see us.

Catching up with different individuals over the holidays contributed to my observation that people who don't work in the industry have a very vague idea as to what marketers (people who are in marketing) really do. I've observed this on more than one occasion. For example, when talking to a friend who works in the field of computers. He asked me what I did for work. I nonchalantly replied "Oh I work in the Marketing Department." I literally saw his eyes turn glassy, as if he was a deer staring into the headlights. He absolutely had no idea what I do for a living.

Do you notice that most professions evoke a certain image in the mind whenever one mentions it? When you say "I'm a nurse", for example, you immediately picture a lady in a white outfit, carrying a bunch of charts and an array of medical tools. When one says "I'm a chef", you picture a jolly, balding man wearing a chef's hat and an apron. Heck, even the word call-center agent evokes an image of a person sitting at a desk, wearing a headset, mindlessly jaberring away. However, when you now say, "I'm a marketer." Now what image comes to your mind? An old lady carrying a big rattan basket, on her way to the wet market to buy fish heads and what not. Seriously speaking, the profession known as a marketer does not even evoke an image in the minds of people who are not in the industry. Now how fulfilling is that?

The better question to answer is - What does a person in Marketing really do? Honestly, I don't really know the answer to this question, and i've been asked more than a few times. What do I reply to queries like this? I give them the patronizing, talking to a 3 year old spiel: "Well, I handle a particular brand. I prepare marketing plans, I come up with promotions for it, I evendevelop TV commercials (even that's a lie)." I give them this answer with the hope that whoever I'm talking to is satisfied enough, and drops the topic altogether. Maybe I don't really have a clear grasp as to what a marketer like me is supposed to be doing, and combine that with poor explaining skills - you come up with a half-assed explanation like that.

I think being in this field requires a person to be a jack-of-all-trades. You have to know a little bit of everything. Here's how I sum it up - you need a little bit of an artist's creativity, a dash of an accountant's financial acumen, a story-teller's imagination, a businessman's savvy, a pinch of a fortune teller's foresight (or lack of), the persuasion skills of the Godfather, and the theatrics of a Hollywood actor. Yes, I honestly think that this is what one needs to thrive in the field of marketing. However, be reminded of what they say about jack-of-all-trades - they are masters of none.

1 comment:

Pam said...

That's because Marketing jobs have not been really shown on TV or in the movies (but this only emphasizes the lack of understanding or this field, huh?). Hehehe. Oh, you'll come up with your own answers in time.