January 11, 2007

The Art (Or Lack Of) Small Talk

I went to all of these gatherings and reunions over the holidays, hobnobbing with new people and reconnecting with old friends who knew me from my days as a student. During casual conversations and other verbal exchanges one would define as small talk, the conversation almost always seems to go the topic of work and things related to work. I like to believe that its an unwritten rule when making small talk. Here's how a typical small talk conversation goes on my end.

Me: Hi! How are you? (Peck on the cheek if its a girl, handshake for a guy)
Person: Hi! I'm fine. I'm doing great. So what do you do now?
Me: Oh, I'm working already
Person: Thats great, so where do you work?
Me: (Knowing that if I gave the name of the company I was working for, it wouldn't even register, but I try anyway) I work for NutriAsia
Person: NutriAsia??
Me: (This is hopeless) I work for the company that makes Datu Puti, Mang Tomas, and UFC Ketchup
Person: Oh!!! OK. Wow, that's a good company!
Me: (What's so great about a company that makes vinegar?) Yeah, its alright.

At this point, I always think that after all the pleasantries are over, and I can now go back to being my silent, unassuming self (In other words, be left alone). Sometimes, its over after the initial exchange, but more often than not, the conversation gets more long winded and painful to bear.

Person: Where's your office?
Me: Its in Ortigas.
Person: Where in Ortigas?
Me: (I stop and think for a while, as I am really bad with directions) Uhhh, its at Centerpoint Condominium (The person i'm talking to has a blank stare), At Garnet Road (Still drawing blanks), Near Emerald (Finally, a spark of recognition) and Metrowalk (I think he/she knows where i'm driving at)
Person: Yeah, I know that place. Where do you live?
Me: (I'm already anticipating another exchange waiting to happen, I make ready with my canned answers) Paranaque
Person: Wow! That's far. How do you get to work?
Me: Sometimes I drive. Most often I take the MRT
Person: MRT? From where?
Me: From Ayala
Person: What's in Ayala?
Me: I ride to work with my Dad, he works in Makati. Sometimes I leave my car there, and just take the train. Its better that way. Less traffic. (At this point, I don't think I can keep up with this type of conversation any longer. I pray that the other person drops the topic)
I really have a problem with small talk. I can only dish it out in small doses and short bursts. If there was a Small Talk 101 being offered anywhere, I would probably be first in line to sign-up.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Grabe. How suplado can you get?! Hmm...not yet small talk material. You can avoid going that path by asking questions (if you're really interested)to the person you're talking to. My sympathies actually went to the person you were talking to. How could he/she keep a conversation going when you didn't ask questions?!?! Rain!!!!!