September 8, 2011



Before I saw this film, I've read positively glowing reviews from critics, hailing Zombadings 1: Patayin sa Shokot si Remington "the best Filipino movie of 2011" or "the funniest movie of the year". Being the avid movie goer and a person easily influenced by critics, I dragged the wifey to the theater with promises of belly-aching laughter reminiscent to when we watched Kimmy Dora a couple of years ago. Braving the fact that the movie possessed a title that would keep straight males at least 20 meters away from the cinema doors, I went inside with my interest piqued and looking forward to watch a good Filipino-made film in an age where the adjective "good" is hardly ever used to describe the quality of Tagalog films being churned out. Despite the high praises for Zombadings, I had my reservations and felt a lingering dread in the pit of my stomach that my money was about to go to waste.

Zombadings is one cross-dressing hairstylist away from being a wreck. There were few and far-between funny moments. The story is something an amateur film-student would probably come up with on an alcoholic binge. The monster effects were flat-out bad, with the zombies looking pox-ridden rather than monster-looking. You would know that sound mixing was not a priority when you see an actor's mouth closed but complete sentences are being uttered. The editing was atrocious, with jarring cuts that took you from one scene to another without the proper transitions. The acting could be better, with the actor playing Remington having a role of his career. Some cameo appearances (there are many, but some of the characters are pointless) provided the most laughs but ultimately, Zombadings couldn't cross the threshold to becoming a truly funny movie.

Remind me to think twice about listening to raving movie critics next time. My grade for this one: One blow dryer.

No comments: